L--[-- 00]a/x+[10 ]O/yandP=[10],themixedproblem(P)is. We remark that (L(t)) is the closure of Dt {u(x) e Hi(t0)

Similar documents
MATH 425, PRACTICE FINAL EXAM SOLUTIONS.

The Heat Equation. Lectures INF2320 p. 1/88

NOTES ON LINEAR TRANSFORMATIONS

Class Meeting # 1: Introduction to PDEs

LS.6 Solution Matrices

Inner Product Spaces

8 Hyperbolic Systems of First-Order Equations

Høgskolen i Narvik Sivilingeniørutdanningen STE6237 ELEMENTMETODER. Oppgaver

College of the Holy Cross, Spring 2009 Math 373, Partial Differential Equations Midterm 1 Practice Questions

Systems with Persistent Memory: the Observation Inequality Problems and Solutions

EXISTENCE AND NON-EXISTENCE RESULTS FOR A NONLINEAR HEAT EQUATION

BANACH AND HILBERT SPACE REVIEW

CITY UNIVERSITY LONDON. BEng Degree in Computer Systems Engineering Part II BSc Degree in Computer Systems Engineering Part III PART 2 EXAMINATION

Methods for Finding Bases

Similarity and Diagonalization. Similar Matrices

Math 241, Exam 1 Information.

Parabolic Equations. Chapter 5. Contents Well-Posed Initial-Boundary Value Problem Time Irreversibility of the Heat Equation

Section 13.5 Equations of Lines and Planes

Problem Set 5 Due: In class Thursday, Oct. 18 Late papers will be accepted until 1:00 PM Friday.

Introduction to Algebraic Geometry. Bézout s Theorem and Inflection Points

3. INNER PRODUCT SPACES

Fuzzy Differential Systems and the New Concept of Stability

MATH 304 Linear Algebra Lecture 18: Rank and nullity of a matrix.

The integrating factor method (Sect. 2.1).

Chapter 6. Linear Transformation. 6.1 Intro. to Linear Transformation

No: Bilkent University. Monotonic Extension. Farhad Husseinov. Discussion Papers. Department of Economics

Math 312 Homework 1 Solutions

The wave equation is an important tool to study the relation between spectral theory and geometry on manifolds. Let U R n be an open set and let

Matrix Representations of Linear Transformations and Changes of Coordinates

1 Norms and Vector Spaces

MATH 304 Linear Algebra Lecture 9: Subspaces of vector spaces (continued). Span. Spanning set.

MATH10212 Linear Algebra. Systems of Linear Equations. Definition. An n-dimensional vector is a row or a column of n numbers (or letters): a 1.

Application of Fourier Transform to PDE (I) Fourier Sine Transform (application to PDEs defined on a semi-infinite domain)

1 if 1 x 0 1 if 0 x 1

OPTIMAL CONTROL OF A COMMERCIAL LOAN REPAYMENT PLAN. E.V. Grigorieva. E.N. Khailov

by the matrix A results in a vector which is a reflection of the given

88 CHAPTER 2. VECTOR FUNCTIONS. . First, we need to compute T (s). a By definition, r (s) T (s) = 1 a sin s a. sin s a, cos s a

OPTIMAl PREMIUM CONTROl IN A NON-liFE INSURANCE BUSINESS

Math 4310 Handout - Quotient Vector Spaces

Let H and J be as in the above lemma. The result of the lemma shows that the integral

OPTIMAL SELECTION BASED ON RELATIVE RANK* (the "Secretary Problem")

Continued Fractions and the Euclidean Algorithm

T ( a i x i ) = a i T (x i ).

Limits and Continuity

LINEAR ALGEBRA W W L CHEN

Lecture 1: Schur s Unitary Triangularization Theorem

ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

Mean Value Coordinates

CURVES WHOSE SECANT DEGREE IS ONE IN POSITIVE CHARACTERISTIC. 1. Introduction

4.5 Linear Dependence and Linear Independence

Linear Maps. Isaiah Lankham, Bruno Nachtergaele, Anne Schilling (February 5, 2007)

Vector Spaces 4.4 Spanning and Independence

Ideal Class Group and Units

I. GROUPS: BASIC DEFINITIONS AND EXAMPLES

DIFFERENTIABILITY OF COMPLEX FUNCTIONS. Contents

Systems of Linear Equations

Lecture 5 Principal Minors and the Hessian

Vector and Matrix Norms

1 VECTOR SPACES AND SUBSPACES

FOUNDATIONS OF ALGEBRAIC GEOMETRY CLASS 22

The Australian Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications

IRREDUCIBLE OPERATOR SEMIGROUPS SUCH THAT AB AND BA ARE PROPORTIONAL. 1. Introduction

0 <β 1 let u(x) u(y) kuk u := sup u(x) and [u] β := sup

How To Prove The Dirichlet Unit Theorem

Math 22B, Homework #8 1. y 5y + 6y = 2e t

Mathematics Course 111: Algebra I Part IV: Vector Spaces

t := maxγ ν subject to ν {0,1,2,...} and f(x c +γ ν d) f(x c )+cγ ν f (x c ;d).

TOPIC 4: DERIVATIVES

RINGS WITH A POLYNOMIAL IDENTITY

160 CHAPTER 4. VECTOR SPACES

Solutions to Linear First Order ODE s

RAJALAKSHMI ENGINEERING COLLEGE MA 2161 UNIT I - ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS PART A

Lectures notes on orthogonal matrices (with exercises) Linear Algebra II - Spring 2004 by D. Klain

Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors, Matrix Factoring, and Principal Components

1 Inner Products and Norms on Real Vector Spaces

( ) which must be a vector

HEAVISIDE CABLE, THOMSON CABLE AND THE BEST CONSTANT OF A SOBOLEV-TYPE INEQUALITY. Received June 1, 2007; revised September 30, 2007

THREE DIMENSIONAL GEOMETRY

Example 4.1 (nonlinear pendulum dynamics with friction) Figure 4.1: Pendulum. asin. k, a, and b. We study stability of the origin x

Chapter 20. Vector Spaces and Bases

MATH1231 Algebra, 2015 Chapter 7: Linear maps

Solving Linear Systems, Continued and The Inverse of a Matrix

α = u v. In other words, Orthogonal Projection

CONTROLLABILITY. Chapter Reachable Set and Controllability. Suppose we have a linear system described by the state equation

Inner Product Spaces and Orthogonality

CHAPTER 2. Eigenvalue Problems (EVP s) for ODE s

A QUICK GUIDE TO THE FORMULAS OF MULTIVARIABLE CALCULUS

Pacific Journal of Mathematics

BX in ( u, v) basis in two ways. On the one hand, AN = u+

Sensitivity analysis of utility based prices and risk-tolerance wealth processes

Practical Guide to the Simplex Method of Linear Programming

ON LIMIT LAWS FOR CENTRAL ORDER STATISTICS UNDER POWER NORMALIZATION. E. I. Pancheva, A. Gacovska-Barandovska

Critical Thresholds in Euler-Poisson Equations. Shlomo Engelberg Jerusalem College of Technology Machon Lev

x = + x 2 + x

Reference: Introduction to Partial Differential Equations by G. Folland, 1995, Chap. 3.

a 11 x 1 + a 12 x a 1n x n = b 1 a 21 x 1 + a 22 x a 2n x n = b 2.

Properties of BMO functions whose reciprocals are also BMO

CHAPTER SIX IRREDUCIBILITY AND FACTORIZATION 1. BASIC DIVISIBILITY THEORY

Solutions to Math 51 First Exam January 29, 2015

1 Completeness of a Set of Eigenfunctions. Lecturer: Naoki Saito Scribe: Alexander Sheynis/Allen Xue. May 3, The Neumann Boundary Condition

Transcription:

No. 10] Proc. Japan Acad., 48 (1972) 719 163. Regularity o Solutions o Hyperbolic Mixed Problems with Characteristic Boundary By Mikio TsuJI (Comm. by Kinjir5 KUNU(I, M. J. )., Dec. 12, 1972) 1. Introduction. At first we recall the following well-known property of a solution of a hyperbolic Cauchy problem which is L-well posed: If the initial value is in H(Rn), then the solution is also in H(R) for any time 0. We call this "The property of having finite r- norm is persistent". The author proved in [2] that, for a mixed problem to a first order hyperbolic system, if this mixed problem is L-well posed and the boundary is not characteristic for the equation, then the property o having finite r-norm is persistent. In this note we discuss whether the persistent property holds or not in the case where the boundary is characteristic for the equation. Let/2 be a sufficiently smooth domain in Rn, M=3/3t-L(t,x;D) be a first order hyperbolic system whose coefficients are N N matrices in _([0, T] /2) and P(t, x) be an N N matrix defined on [0, T] 32. Let us consider the mixed problem (1.1) M[u(t, x)]--f(t, x) in [0, T] X (P) (1.2) u(o, x)--(x) on (1.3) P(t, x)u(t, x)--o on [0, T] Definition. The mixed problem (P) is said to be L-well posed if for any initial data (x) e Do={U(X) e H(/2) P(0, x)ul=o} and any second member f(t,x)e (H(tg))fl(L(tg))x)there exists a unique solution u(t, x) of (P) in :(L(tg))f t(d(l(t))) satisfying the following energy inequality (1.4) Ilu(t)ll<c(T)(ll ll+f: ]]f(s)ll ds), t e [0, T], where c(t) is a positive constant which depends only on T. We remark that (L(t)) is the closure of Dt {u(x) e Hi(t0) P(t)ulo,=O} by the norm Ilull(t)=llull+llL(t)ull. At first we state Theorem 1. In the case where 9 R+ {(x, y) x > 0, y e R}, L--[-- 00]a/x+[10 ]O/yandP=[10],themixedproblem(P)is L-well posed, but the property of having finite r-norm is not persistent. More precisely, if the initial value (x, y)e H(R+) satisfies 1) t(e) is the set of E-valued functions of which are k-times continuously differentiable.

720 M. Tsvz [Vol. 48, P(L)I 0=0 (k=0, 1,..., m-l) and f(t,x,y)--o, then the solution U(t, X, y)--t(u, Ue) has the following properties (- ( u(t, x, y) e (J-( /-)I(R+)),.. and ) /(R+ )) for any p=0,1,...,m, (ii) moreover, if we suppose more strictly that (0, y) H(Rg, then u(t, x, y) H(+)/+(R) and u(t, x, y) e H[/]+I(R) for any to. The above results can be extended to the ollowing orm. Let us consider (1.5) L(t, x D)- A(t, x):::o + B(t, x) i=1 X where A (i= 1,..., n) and B are N X N matrices, and assume that the boundary a9 o 9 is compact and sufficiently smooth. For simplicity, we assume the following conditions (C.1) A (i=l,...,n) are Hermitian matrices, (C.2) the boundary matrix A,==A(t, x),(x) is singular, but its rank is constant on 9 where -(,1,,, "",,) is the exterior unit normal to 9, (C.3) P(t,x) isannxn matrix, rankp=/=constantand KerP(t) is maximally non-positive or L(t) on 9, i.e., we assume that u.a,ugo, uekerp, t0, xea9, and that Ker P is not properly contained in any other subspace having this property. Then we have Theorem 2. Assume that the data (x) H() and the second member f(t, x) e (L) -(H) Y(H) satisfy the compatibility conditions (1.6) of order (m-l): =1-- at where 9()(x)=9(x) and 9(+)(x) (po) is defined successively by the formula (1.7) <,->(m) f +(0, x) Then there emists a unique solution u(t,x) (p=o, 1,., m), and it does not necessarily belong to Hi]+() for any Rark. In xwell equation, we pose 7 I --0 s the bounda- is the exterior normm of the boundary and E is ry condition where the electric eld vector. Then this mixed problem satises the conditions (C.1), (C.2) and (C.3). owever in this cse the property of having finite r-norm is persistent.

No. 10] Solutions of Hyperbolic Mixed Problems 721 Theorem 3. In the case where 9-R+, L- 0 3/3y (a>0; a, a2 e R) and P=[1 0], the necessary and sucient condition in order that the property of having finite r-norm be persistent is c-o. 2. Proof of Theorem 1. Since the L2-well posedness is obvious in view of [1], we prove the latter of this theorem. If 9(x,y)--t(9, ) is in HI(R) and 9(0, y)-0, then the solution u(t, x, y) is given by u(t) =etg, which is in i(l ) 2((L)). Since the coefficients of L is constant, 3u/3y(t, x, y)--elt(39/3y) e,(l ). From the equation it follows x 2 y Hence u(t, x, y) is in (H (R+)). Our purpose is to show that u(t, x,y) does not belong to H(R) or any t0. Let us prove this by contradiction. For this we construct the solution u(t, x, y) concretely by using Fourier-Laplace transform. We extend the definition domain of u to R R by u(t, x, y)-o for x 0, and denote by (t,, ) the image of Fourier transform of u(t, x, y), i.e., (2.1) (t,, )= e-(x+)u(t, x, y)dxdy. Then it follows (2.2) (.a X(t, )_ i sin at. e-**(, + (co (t,, )- i sin at. e-(, ) + [(cos at-- i sin where a-+. Since u.(t, x, Y)--I u (s,x y)ds +(x, y) 2 y2 Y 3x 1 0 1 0 (t,,)-.(, v) Oy (s x y)ds- + Oy Oy ox ), the necessary and sufficient condition in order that u(t,x, y) be in H(R) is (2.) o ( z,) L(R), i.e., (i)g(, Substituting (2.) into (2.4), we get

722 M. TsuzI [Vol. 48, f:(i)t(s, $, v)ds- (i) (($, o ) sin as. e-ds I -L. -I. The terms I and L are easily proved to be in L(R), therefore the term I must be in L(R). Since :e_sinasds_ 1 (1- cos a e_)_i:e(,._)ds we get the following (2.6) in order o to be I (2.6) (i)(i) L(R) a(a+) ( )" e " e L(R). Taking account of the identity we see that (2.6) is equivalent to (2.7) (t,, ) (i)(i) (Sign 2(0 7) e -) ds e L(R) a(a+ll) If we put l(t, )--2(2t2--2/16)/t, then for (2.8) e (sn -)ds >=-. Hence it follows where c- 1/16t2(1+t2)-2dt. Therefore if we take V2(x, Y) as 2(0, y) H(RI), then F(t,, ) does not belong to L2(R2) for any t0. This is a contradiction. Thus Theorem 1 is proved in the case m-1. For general m we can prove by induction. 3. Proof of Theorem 2. We can prove as in [2] that this mixed problem has a finite propagation speed. Thus by the local transformation we can reduce to the case 9=R ={(x,..., x) (x,..., x_) e R-, x> 0}. Moreover, applying an appropriate transformation of unknown functions, we have only to consider the following fairly simple mixed problem (3.1) A(t, x)3/3x +B(t x))u + f(t x) L(t)u + f(t), to, xer, (M) (3.2) u(0, x)--(x), x e R, ((3.3) Pu =o-0, to, (x,.., x_) e R-, where (A.1) A (i=1,...,n) are N xn Hermitian matrices and A

No. 10] Solutions of Hyperbolic Mixed Problems 723 ---[0 An 001 where/n is an rr non-singular matrix, (A.2) P=[EO] is an N matrix where E is an unit matrix, (A.3) Ker P is maximally non-positive or L(t). We remark that (A.3) assures l<_ r. Here we treat the mixed problem (M) when L(t) is independent of t. When L(t) depends on t, we can prove Theorem 2 by using energy inequalities and Cauchy s polygonal line as in [2]. Using Theorem 3.2 of Lax- Phillips [1], we see that L generates a semi-group T(t) in L(R), rom which the L-well posedness is proved. We pass to the problem of regularity. Let us put v--t(u,., u), v--t(u/,., u), g-t(f,., f) and g._t(f/,...,fv), then there exist first order differential operators L (i, ]= 1, 2) such that (3.4)i vi/t-.lilvl+li2v2---gi, i--1, 2. We see from (A.1) that L, L and L22 don t contain the derivative with respect to Xn. First we consider the case m--1. Then the solution u(t, x) is given by u(t, x) T(t) + T(t-- s)f(s)ds which is in :(L) ((L)). Let us put U(t,x)-t(tu, t3u/3t, t3u/3x,., t3u/3xn_), then U(t, x) satisfies (3U/3t=LU+r(t,x) (3.5) [Pvl =0=o where /. L-- lower order, L q(x)-- t(2, t(l-}-f(o)) to Xl OXn_l F(t,x)_t tf,. 3t xl -ffi 0 3f 3An A 0 As )(x) e L(R) and F(t, x) e t(l2), we see from (3.5) that U(t, x) is in (L). Therefore it 2ollows 2rom (3.4) that 8v/SXl is in 8(L). Hence v(t, x) is in (Hg. Next we pass to the case m=2. Since in (3.5) )(x) e H(R) and F(t, x) e (H)f :(L), we can apply the result obtained now to (3.5). Therefore, if we put V=t(tv, rsvp tsv/sx,., tsv/sx_) (i=1, 2), V(t, x) is in :(L) (H). Hence in (3.5) Lv +g is in Ct(L Cl Ct(H ). Since v. is free o boundary condition and Ln generates a semi-group in L(R), v(t, x)is also in :(L) / t(h), which implies the required

724 /I. TSUJI [Vol. 48, result in the case m--2. For general m we can prove this theorem by induction. The method used here is essentially the same as in [2]. The detailed proof will be given in a forthcoming paper. References [1] [2] P. D. Lax and R. S. Phillips" Local boundary conditions for dissipative symmetric linear differential operators. Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 13, 427-456 (1960). M. Tsuji" Analyticity of solutions of hyperbolic mixed problems (to appear).