1 20 01 The Final Report on the Ever Episcopal Campaign 20 08
2 Embracing challenges and modeling excellence is the essence of an Episcopal education. It is the foundation upon which our community is built and is the common, unbreakable thread that binds our founding fathers to future generations of Episcopal students. Our new campus, and the generosity of our community, embody this commitment. With the ongoing support of parents, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends, we will ensure that our tradition of excellence lives on. Ham Clark, Fall 2006
3 Dear Friends: This book celebrates the completion of an incredible journey. In 2001 our new home was just a dream. From here, they will see forever, a trustee commented as he looked across the valley. Literally, of course, he was referring to the expansive and magnificent vistas on 123 acres fronting Route 252; figuratively, he implied the enormous promise of Episcopal in Newtown Square. That dream was insistent. The trustees were visionaries. And the Episcopal family was inspired. Programs academic, athletic, spiritual, and artistic had outgrown the Merion campus. Teachers would find new and unforeseen opportunities to innovate and to enhance their pedagogy. Students would grow into their new campus, becoming better learners, athletes, artists, and friends. They would be inspired by their surroundings. They would see forever! Five years later, on September 27, 2006, we broke ground in Newtown Square. In August 2008 the moving vans arrived, and we began unpacking boxes. Thanks to the hard work and generosity of the Episcopal Academy community, the dream had become reality. It is with profound gratitude and pride that we tell you that $100 million has been raised within the context of the Ever Episcopal Campaign, exceeding the goal of $90 million and giving testimony to a community that believed. Very few independent day schools in America have crossed that threshold. Even more incredible is the fact that once the Devon campus is sold and all outstanding pledges are collected, we expect that all debt associated with the move and the construction of our new campus will be eliminated, paid in full. The Ever Episcopal Campaign final report summarizes our amazing journey and lists the names of those who made what was once only imagined now so tangible, so Ever Episcopal. We thank them. L. Hamilton Clark Gretchen Burke Head of School Chair, Board of Trustees 1
4 Table of Contents Prologue 3 Profiles of the Ever Episcopal Campaign s Top Five Donors 4 Features of Campus Buildings and Spaces 9 Endowment Facts and Figures 18 Campaign Statistics 19 Full Listing of Campaign Donors 21 Campaign Leadership 31 Epilogue 32 The Episcopal Academy s initiative to build a new campus from the ground up began with the acquisition of the 123-acre Lisiter Hall Farm property in Newtown Square. The Groundbreaking Ceremony in Newtown Square was a cause for celebration as construction began Construction crews rumbled onto the land and began digging foundations for campus buildings. The Lower School was the first building to have its foundations poured. The Dixon Athletic Center roof took shape and could be seen from Route 252, heralding the progress on our campus The last steel beam was put in place on the Dixon Athletic Center at the Topping Out Ceremony in July of 2007.
5 Prologue We have always brought with us the essence of who we are to where we are. Jay Crawford 57 When you walk around this magnificent campus with its beautiful vistas, striking architecture, and the sounds of children s voices, it all seems so inevitable. But what we ve accomplished together, as a community, didn t seem quite so inevitable in the beginning. It was May of 2001, at a spirited board of trustees meeting, that discussions about the possibility of purchasing land for a new campus began in earnest. Several weeks later, with that land secured, we were able to begin to invent this new era for Episcopal, an objective that would eventually include the participation of scores of Episcopal constituents who joined focus groups, sat on planning committees, organized tours, worked with the architects, signed on to the fundraising team, built a playground the list goes on. The commitment of literally tens of thousands of volunteer hours and the generosity of more than a thousand benefactors tell the story. One person joked that, luckily, when we began this voyage, we didn t realize how audacious and complicated it would truly be. If we had, we may have been too intimidated to start. But I doubt that. There were several early decisions that proved critical. Among the more important ones was the decision to go with a mix of world class architecture firms instead of just one. It gives the campus a common theme, but a diversity of style that I think will wear well over the coming decades. On the following pages, we chronicle the individuals and families who have made this remarkable accomplishment possible. Behind each gift of treasure or time lies a personal story of what The Episcopal Academy has meant to that individual or family. Our new home is a testimony to vision, passion, hard work, and careful planning. It reminds us that if dedicated men and women come together, anything is possible. Mountains are moved by the cumulative impact of a thousand hands. As you walk around this campus, don t just admire the physical manifestations, but take a moment to marvel at the spirit and belief that created it a spirit that began in 1785 with a dedicated group that wanted to educate tomorrow s citizens to lead and saw the importance of faith in God in achieving that. The physical location of The Episcopal Academy has changed many times over the years, but the essence that fuels it, Esse Quam Videri to be rather than to seem to be burns brighter than ever. Brian P. Tierney 75 Trustee of the Academy CEO, Philadelphia Media Holdings, L.L.C. Publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer The exterior of the Turner Upper School took shape quickly. The steeple was placed on the Class of 1944 Chapel at the Chapel s Topping Out Ceremony. The Academic Buildings evolved, and the sense of the campus green became more defined. The Class of 1944 Chapel took form, and the design of alumnus Robert Venturi 44 was revealed The finished fieldstone face of the Crawford Campus Center was completed as Episcopal prepared to open its new campus in Newtown Square. An all school convocation was held in the O Neill Gymnasium to celebrate the completion of the campus and the arrival of the first school year in Episcopal s new home.
6 Profiles This gift and the library it funds will honor Roger Annenberg s memory in a very meaningful way. Ham Clark The Annenberg Foundation It seemed fitting that, in the year that marked the 50th anniversary of Roger Annenberg s graduation from Episcopal, we would honor the memory of this respected member of the Class of 1958 by dedicating The Roger Annenberg Library. We thank The Annenberg Foundation for making possible this critical resource on Episcopal s Newtown Square campus. In 1971 Ambassador and Mrs. Walter Annenberg funded the new library on the Merion campus in remembrance of their son. While a student at Episcopal, Roger had been active on the Library Committee, and close family friend Tony Ridgway was the school librarian. Some years later, The 1785 Bowl, Episcopal s most prestigious award for philanthropy, was presented to Roger posthumously and was warmly accepted on his behalf by Mrs. Annenberg and the Ambassador. At that event we were reminded by Bob Bishop 58, now treasured master teacher at Episcopal, then Roger s classmate and friend, that back in our day, the literary editor of the Scholium had as his mission developing ways to open the eyes and educate the sensibilities of Episcopal readers to the arts and to the various possibilities of language. In , Roger was elected to that position. Bob remembers that Roger, a gifted editor, nurtured by his family and such school sages as Anthony Ridgway, Harry Harris, and Curtis York, would challenge his fellow students with a wide array of student writing that commented upon artistic endeavors at school and in the larger world and that risked the art of writing itself, often through poetic forms. Bob went on to comment on the Scholium meetings that were frequently held at Roger s home, where life-long lessons of hospitality, civility and generosity were learned. On those special occasions, he reminisced, students were inspired by the truth of responsible journalism and the beauty of the surroundings. We were working on our school newspaper in the home of the editor and publisher of the Philadelphia Inquirer! It was amazing! It always seemed that we managed to do our job just a little bit better during evenings at Roger s. And strangely, but appropriately, the fruits of our schoolboy labor reside now in Roger s library at Episcopal. At their reunion celebration, other classmates too spoke of their many fond memories of Roger and expressed their appreciation for the ongoing interest of the Annenberg family in the well-being of Episcopal. They, like Bob, vividly remember the hospitality offered to them on so many occasions for the Junto, Episcopal s debating society, of which Roger was president, the Scholium Board, on which he served, and at the culminating class swim party and picnic after graduation. It is important to remember that, in addition to the libraries at Merion and in Newtown Square, the endowed Library Chair was also made possible by funding from the Annenberg Foundation to honor Anthony Ridgway. It affirms Roger s understanding even in his young life of the purpose and significance of scholarship and remains a brilliant testament to this Foundation and family s support and stewardship of Episcopal. The magnificent Roger Annenberg Library is not just a repository for books. It is a an interactive place for minds to meet, students to share ideas, conduct research, access information, and acquire knowledge with the support of state-of-the-art technology. The members of the Class of 1958 remember a friend and are appreciative. Our students pay tribute to that friend each day by the work they do in this transformational space that bears his name. All of this was made possible by the generosity of a Foundation that has done so much to make the world a better place and by those who knew and loved Roger best. We are most grateful. 4
7 Class of 1940 While with an eye made quiet by the power Of harmony, and the deep power of joy, We see into the life of things. Wordsworth We are greatly honored for having had the privilege of fulfilling the ideals, spirit and traditions so nobly set up by our predecessors. Tabula 1940 It has been said that great things happen in moments of silence. It is not with the blaring of trumpets or a clash of thunder, but when the eye is made quiet that change is affected, ideas are born. The great men of the Class of 1940 certainly subscribe to that theory. Operating under the radar, free of fanfare, they quietly but most effectively go about the business of making Episcopal as good as it can be. Their numbers may be diminishing, but never their heart. This cohort of solid citizens, principled souls, is capable of moving mountains! Despite diverse political ideologies, career choices, and avocations, they are, with indisputable unanimity, one for all, all for one Episcopal. Ever Episcopal, Ever the Class of 1940! Gifts from this heroic team funded The Class of 1940 Daniel J. Dougherty Field House and provided major support for the Crawford Campus Center, tangibly demonstrating the depth and breadth of this class s loyalty. Their time was a storied time. War was being waged in Europe, and bombs were being dropped on London. Frank Sinatra debuted with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, Disney s Pinocchio was released, and Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz wed. Yet despite the cacophony of war, the vagaries of celebrity, and the distraction of newsworthy events, to these young men nothing seemed more important than the June 4th graduation ceremony of the Class of 1940 on the Overbrook campus of The Episcopal Academy. They wrote in their Tabula, linking all together was a bond of class loyalty which was in great measure responsible for whatever mark we made, and which we honestly feel has made a class worthy to graduate from The Episcopal Academy. We are greatly honored for having had the privilege of fulfilling the ideals, spirit and traditions so nobly set up by our predecessors. And they have continued living up to those ideals through these almost 69 years. Their graduation sentiment has translated into commitment and action. Consistently in the vanguard for Annual Giving participation, theirs is the first class to have established a 50th reunion gift initiative, creating not one, but two endowed funds in 1990, one to support deserving students who need financial aid, the other to pay tribute to faculty. Pioneers, indeed! A fund to honor former Head of School Jay Crawford, critical support to enable the purchase of the land for Episcopal s new campus, and their indefatigable work to make the Ever Episcopal Campaign successful were all spurred on by a class leader who has truly inspired his classmates with his vision, leadership, and generosity. This is their legacy. This record of accomplishment has rendered these stealth philanthropists, this class, the givingest in Episcopal s history. With joy and harmony, the distinguished members of the Class of 1940 truly see into the life of Episcopal and tirelessly and generously work to sustain its excellence. Because they want it so, ever so quietly, we salute them, we thank them, we love them. 5
8 Jane MacElree Ask Crawford Hill. He will tell you about a teacher who drove him to school, a Dad who was a trustee, a wife who taught at Episcopal, two brothers who attended Episcopal, a cohort of science faculty who are friends as well as colleagues, children who are recent graduates, and a thoroughly engaged mother. Crawford 70 and his brothers Michael 80 and lifer Tom 75 attended Episcopal. Longtime teacher-coach George Greenwood drove them to school. Children Connor 03 and Hadley 01 graduated recently. Crawford s wife Suzie was a third grade teacher at Episcopal from 1976 until And Jane Cox MacElree is the appreciative mother grateful to the teachers who influenced her children, impressed with the education received by her grandchildren, and proud of her son, Crawford, who chairs the Science Department at Episcopal. The Hill/MacElree family history represents 89 years of connection to Episcopal, and the relationships were the genesis of Jane MacElree s decision to fund the Hill Science Center. When you meet her, you can detect the perpetual twinkle that hides just behind her eyes. She is intelligent, inquisitive, unpretentious, approachable, interesting, and interested. Jane MacElree is real. And she is busy. Mother to seven, grandmother to ten, Jane is an entrepreneur, a civic leader, and a philanthropist. Her interests include her horse farm, travel, the environment, land preservation, conservation, and education. She is an avid reader and an astute observer of the world and has expressed her keen interest in Episcopal s goal to prepare its students to confront the many global issues that will demand solutions in their lifetimes. Her son projects attributes of a leader enthusiasm, energy, passion, and ambition. A highly respected master teacher with more than 30 years at Episcopal, he is fiercely loyal and genuinely proud of the faculty members in his department, his program, his students, and his graduates. He has served on the Development, Executive, Head Search, Strategic and Master Planning Committees and, with wife Suzie, is a major benefactor to his school. Mother and son together are a force to be reckoned with. Their close relationship is evident, and each takes pride in the other. You might say that Jane has had a front-row seat during some of the most transformational times in Episcopal s history. And there have been critical junctures when she has influenced that history with her endorsement and support. Of course, much of it she sees through the eyes of her son. She has greatly appreciated the teacher-counselor coach model that is woven into the fabric of the school and has commended the academic rigor promoted by the faculty, which she has witnessed firsthand, commenting on the freedom Episcopal gives its teachers to be creative, innovative, and all that they can be. Jane has been heartened by the opportunities offered Episcopal s faculty to mentor and counsel. She cheered on her son and his winning teams when he worked with the school s student-athletes for 17 years, 11 as a highly touted varsity wrestling coach. And for certain, Jane has had a unique perspective of Episcopal s science program and its leader. Through these many years she has helped to shape and nurture both. Over the course of Episcopal and Jane s shared history, her interest and generous spirit have prompted gifts to Episcopal s Century III and Thresholds Campaigns, seed money to initiate the community service program, leadership support for the land campaign, and now a magnificent gift to honor her son and indeed the entire Hill/MacElree family. Relationships are everything. We celebrate the many connections that bring together our school and this truly vested Episcopal family. Jane s extraordinary generosity and her friendship have made a real difference for this venerable institution. The Hill Science Center is testimony to that. 6
9 Bruce Mainwaring 44 What a unique opportunity this is, to be a part of Episcopal s history! Bruce Mainwaring 44 It has been written that there are two voices in this world, one is of the sea, one of the mountains; each a mighty voice. Sadly, the author of this sentiment never had the good fortune of hearing a third powerful voice, that of Bruce Mainwaring 44. It was quite literally his voice that earned Bruce entrance into The Episcopal Academy. In 1937 Dr. Alexander McCurdy, head of the Organ Department at The Curtis Institute, was appointed choirmaster at Episcopal and was directed to recruit 20 boys to sing in Episcopal s chapel. Each boy received a full scholarship. Bruce vividly remembers that day in February 1938 when he was given the opportunity to become a mid-season substitute for one of two recruits who had dropped out of the program. He even remembers the audition piece that gained him admission. An 11-year-old boy soprano, he entered the sixth grade with the understanding that support would continue until his voice changed. Headmaster Greville Haslam, happily, saw the promise, and Bruce stayed on to graduate with his class in On graduation day he was awarded the Gold Medal for Excellence in Science and Mathematics, the Jarvis Meirs Memorial Prize for Excellence in Chemistry, and the Navigation Prize. Sixty-four years later this past September, Bruce became an Episcopal choirboy again. With full and resonant voice, he sang a solo hymn at the convocation ceremonies for Episcopal s new chapel in Newtown Square. Full circle. Bruce had not forgotten what went before and, with an extraordinary lead gift, he had challenged his classmates to help fund The Class of 1944 Chapel, designed by classmate and friend Robert Venturi. In a concerted effort and with generous response, the outcome was highly successful. Through the years Episcopal has benefited greatly from the quality of his gentle but effective inquiry into the functioning of its parts. Bruce has never lost sight of the larger agenda to develop a cohesive and intentional blueprint for renewal and change for his beloved Alma Mater. Bruce has served as a leader for the Class of 1944 Summer Faculty Fellowships Program and played a pivotal role during the school s most recent strategic planning process. Bruce and his wife Peggy together were instrumental in helping Episcopal secure the site for its new campus, and, most recently, Bruce served as Co-Chair of the Leadership Gifts Committee for the Ever Episcopal Campaign. He is a recipient of The 1785 Bowl, the school s most prestigious award for philanthropy. It is difficult to quantify the impact his many gifts of expertise, influence, and resource have made on our school, our city, and our region. Suffice it to say that it has been extraordinary. For certain, Bruce represents civic leadership at its finest, and those institutions and organizations that have had the benefit of his voice of reason and civility remain most grateful. His notable entrepreneurial, philanthropic, and intellectual achievements have created for him a life s work of operatic proportion. Episcopal gives him a standing ovation.
10 Jay Sherrerd 47 We cannot overestimate the importance of this project to the future of Episcopal. Jay Sherrerd 47 You had to know him! Those who did felt privileged. Such a force, so dynamic that even now you half expect to see him stride through the door of Sherrerd Alumni House, bending his towering frame at the threshold, a half smile on his face, eyes canvassing the room as if searching for the next challenge. Consultants, strategic thinkers, university presidents, development officers, and fundraising gurus everywhere would have profited by analyzing Jay Sherrerd s leadership skills and fundraising acumen. Knowledge gained from that research even now would most assuredly benefit their development initiatives, if not guarantee success. With that rare combination of intellectual prowess, personal charisma, and an intangible force that refused to accept anything less than victory, he rightfully earned legendary status from here to Princeton and back again. Fortunately for Episcopal, he was real. A lifer at Episcopal until his last two years when his parents sent him to The Hill School, he successfully cultivated his friendships from Episcopal and took pride in his alumni status, Class of The foundation was laid here, he was quick to explain. Make no small plans, they have no magic to stir man s blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans, aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram, once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a loving thing, asserting itself with growing insistency. Daniel Burnham Big plans and a bold vision captured Jay s imagination when he learned about Episcopal s projected move. But if truth be known, it was wife Kathy, a former trustee, who moved him from consideration of a campaign leadership role to determination that Episcopal would win the day. And the rest is history. As co-chair of the Ever Episcopal Campaign, Jay set the standard as one of the Campaign s leadership donors. What delight he took in determining his gift s various allocations: Sherrerd Alumni House, the Sherrerd Board Room to honor his wife, a scholarship fund to honor his friend and fundraising partner, Mike Shouvlin 50. Then he went about the business of winning other minds and hearts. Those who were in his sights were flattered by his attention, impressed by his conviction, engaged by his passion and sold by his reasoned approach. Because he so genuinely loved to give himself, he truly felt he was offering others the opportunity to experience the same joy. Jay had a long and wonderful history at Episcopal. His wife Kathy was one of the first women on the Board of Trustees, and his son Jay graduated from Episcopal in Jay chaired his 50th Reunion Gift Fund, was a member of the Steering Committee for the 2000 Strategic Plan, The Challenge to Lead, and was the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award and The 1785 Bowl. He was a successful entrepreneur, highly regarded civic leader, and generous benefactor. Head of School Ham Clark adds one more descriptor, educator. As one of our leaders of the Campaign he helped to guide this important initiative by giving of himself and teaching others the joy of giving, Ham remembered, And because he was such a good teacher, there are many new philanthropists at Episcopal and within the various other communities he served. Make big plans... 8
11 Features I find it tremendously moving that members of my class of 1944 have become very generous financial contributors to this new project. Class of 1944 Chapel In 1948 Robert Venturi 44 designed a virtual chapel for The Episcopal Academy as his Master s Thesis at Princeton. Some fifty-five years later, he designed a veritable chapel for his school s Newtown Square campus. The Class of 1944 Chapel from the outset was to be the physical and symbolic heart of the campus. For that reason, the architect felt it important that the building be visible from every aspect of the site and, from a farther distance, Route 252. Light, too, became an important element of the design. A series of clerestories in the ceiling were designed to create an element of soaring toward the altar and an effective and ever changing increase in natural light as aura toward the sanctuary. The light wood pews were intentionally arranged in a semi-circle, allowing visitors to the chapel to face each other as well as the altar, thus creating a stronger sense of communal worship. The Class of 1944 Chapel projects an intimacy in its quiet elegance. The open and spacious design provides seating for 900, thereby accommodating the Upper and Middle Schools together and affording more room for guests at commencement and other major school events. Continuity is reflected in the usage of the cross that hung above the altar in Christ Chapel at the Merion campus and the Merion organ, which has been greatly enhanced to fill the new, greater space with sound. The Class of 1944 Chapel bears the name of a great Episcopal class. Inspired by a magnificent challenge gift from Bruce Mainwaring 44, an important lead gift from the French Family, and the loyal participation of every member of the class, the Class of 1944 Chapel is an architectural expression of their generous spirits. Robert Venturi 44 9
12 Crawford Campus Center The Crawford Campus Center is home to the arts, administrative offices, The Roger Annenberg Library, the Ridgway Blackbox and main stage theaters, the Tierney and Lower School Dining Halls, and a host of meeting spaces and classrooms for student and faculty use in short, it is the hub of school life. Occupying one entire side of the campus green and covered in grey Pennsylvania fieldstone, the imposing facility, designed by Graham Gund, provides the resources and services essential to quality of life on campus. Whether they seek nourishment of the mind at the Roger Annenberg Library, of the body in the Tierney Dining Hall, or of the soul in the Rugart Fine Arts Wing, students and faculty can find it all here. The Roger Annenberg Library affords students and faculty a double-height, wood-paneled, and light-filled space in which to grow the mind. Here students and their teachers find the latest in research technology, 15,000 videos and DVDs, 8,000 reference works, 33,500 other volumes, and 36 computer stations. Tierney Hall provides a comfortable and spacious dining room for the Middle and Upper Schools, utilizing walls of windows and round tables to provide ambience and create community. A smaller dining room is located next door and accommodates the Lower School students and teachers. The Rugart Fine Arts Wing of the Crawford Campus Center houses the visual arts. Specific and appropriate spaces are dedicated to drawing, painting, and ceramics. Photography laboratories, studios, and galleries complete the wing. The music area claims ample practice space for both choral and instrumental music. All of these venues are outfitted with state-of-the-art technology, appropriate lighting, and excellent acoustics. The Ridgway Blackbox Theater is located near the 600-seat main stage theater and provides a 100-seat intimate venue for smaller, student-written, or one-act performances, lectures, and movie screenings. Seating is located just steps from the stage, enhancing the relationship between cast and audience. All of these facilities are surrounded by communal space, including student lounges, faculty commons, and small meeting rooms, serving the needs of every community group. The Campus Center is named in honor of Jay 57 and Rosemary Crawford, beloved members of the Episcopal community. Jay was the 9th Headmaster at Episcopal, serving from 1973 until While Headmaster he led Episcopal through its transition to coeducation, strengthened the arts program, increased diversity, and oversaw the strategic plan of His leadership brought the community to the decision to purchase the Newtown Square site. It is especially fitting to attach the Crawford name to the Campus Center because it houses the offices of Admission, College Guidance, and the Head of School, all of which Jay occupied and grew during his long tenure as a teacher, coach, administrator, and Headmaster at Episcopal. 10
13 The energy and excitement that emanates from this building is truly invigorating. Gina Buggy, Director of Athletics Dixon Athletic Center The light-filled Dixon Athletic Center, designed by architect Bernie Cywinski of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, sets a new standard for competition and practice venues. A visitor to the complex enters under the signature Cywinski wooden canopy and immediately finds the pool and basketball gymnasium. A cat-walk above the pool and gym allows visitors to view competitions on both levels of the building simultaneously, providing a stimulating environment for the spectator. Student-athletes frequently use this area to watch their peers compete during breaks in or after their own athletic practices. Steel and glass further create an open, communal atmosphere. Not immediately visible on the first level is a full complement of changing rooms, trainers areas, locker rooms, and support spaces. The Dixon Athletic Center s second level can be accessed by elevator and two generous stairways. Both stairways lead to the The Sarah C. Madeira Squash Pavilion, which houses ten squash courts, and The Class of 1940 Daniel J. Dougherty Fieldhouse, which can accommodate a number of events or practice sessions simultaneously. The Center has unparalleled training and competition venues for Episcopal s student-athletes. The O Neill Competition Gym provides a dramatic space not only for basketball but also for community gatherings and schoolwide events. The Burke Natatorium boasts a 35-meter pool, which can be divided to accommodate two water polo matches or swimming and diving practices simultaneously. A fully equipped fitness center, dance and aerobics studio, and wrestling room are also housed in the complex. The Center honors the late Fitz Eugene Dixon, Jr. 42 and his wife Edie, who have given so generously of themselves to Episcopal for so many years as leaders, benefactors, and friends. 11
14 Fields and Outdoor Spaces Field space and other outdoor spaces were important considerations in the planning of Episcopal s new campus. The campus includes nine new full-sized athletic fields, 14 tennis courts, a track, and an associated field events area. Two of the athletic fields are artificial turf and are home to the football, field hockey, and boys and girls lacrosse teams. The E. Newbold Smith 44 Football Field honors a legend at Episcopal who played every position on the field and was widely considered one of the finest athletes in the school s history. In similar fashion, the field hockey field, named Sonje s Field, honors the extraordinary contributions of Sonje Volla Moore 95 to athletics at Episcopal. Outdoor classrooms, cleared woodland areas, terraces, and intentional groupings of benches provide ample room for students and teachers to study together under the sun. Student artists are frequently seen on the campus green, painting the beautiful natural vistas seen from most any angle on campus. The natural setting of the campus only serves to enhance the quality of work accomplished there. Notable outdoor venues include the Hess Outdoor Classroom, serving Upper School students and faculty, and the Grove of Games, a lawn located outside of the Dixon Athletic Center that serves as a student recreation space. Both of these areas were given to Episcopal by Sankey and longtime trustee Connie Williams, parents of alumnae. 12
15 Hill Science Center Designed by architect RMJM Hillier, the Hill Science Center is a study in effective and efficient design, incorporating energy efficiency, passive solar design, and ecologically sensitive systems. It houses twelve laboratories and is connected to the Turner Upper School and the Middle School by corridors, maximizing its energy efficiency and accessibility to students. The Hill Science Center adds significant laboratory space for both Middle and Upper School science students and incorporates The Doolittle Greenhouse and Wet Laboratory for advanced ecological experimentation. Laboratories are equipped for earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics, providing customized spaces for teacher and student. The atrium and workrooms permit students to study and work together in proximity to their research. Its increased space, enhanced functionality, technological capabilities, and central location make the Hill Science Center a state-of-the-art facility for Episcopal s science students. The Hill Science Center was funded by Jane MacElree, who has an ongoing and proactive interest in the environment and land preservation. She has long been an advocate for education, in particular science education. Her son Crawford Hill 70 is Chair of the Science Department. 13
16 Lower School The challenge facing RMJM Hillier, the architect of the Lower School, was a great one: to design a nurturing environment that could also house the largest unit of the school and to create common spaces that would suit the needs of a preschooler as well as those of a fifth grader. The task was to design a place where seven classes of children from two Episcopal campuses would come together and become one. In answer, the architect created a building that is divided into developmentally appropriate pods or modules of classrooms. The design also includes communal spaces that permit the Lower School to come together as a unit when appropriate. Each of the Lower School s classrooms is outfitted with computers and audiovisual capabilities. The youngest students classrooms also contain individual restrooms and banks of cubbies, enhancing the students security and comfort. All students have access to the communal venues in the building, most notably the Multipurpose Room, which is used for chapel, gym, and drama performances. In addition, The M. Turner Family Library provides two separate reading nooks, one designed to meet the needs of the youngest students, and another designed with older classes in mind. Two outdoor community-built playgrounds have been constructed to provide safe play areas for Episcopal s youngest students. 14
17 Middle School The Middle School houses the sixth through eighth grades and was designed to provide a comfortable transition from the embrace of Lower School life and the rigors of Upper School study. The stone exterior of the building faces the morning drop-off circle and is etched with the values that are associated with the stripes on Episcopal s school sweater Self Control, Faith, Honesty, Courtesy, Kindness, Generosity, Gratitude, Courage, Respect, and Sportsmanship. The building was designed by RMJM Hillier and houses 22 dual purpose classrooms, each serving as both homeroom and primary classroom. All classrooms are outfitted with flat screen plasma televisions and access to both the wireless network and the community video library. The corridors of the Middle School provide ample space to display student work, reminding visitors of the multi-media nature of the Episcopal Middle School experience. Perhaps the most striking and useful space in the Middle School is the formal, two-story hall, whose walls of windows open onto the campus green and provide ample natural light. The study hall can accommodate the entire Middle School for meetings and is frequently used for private study or for gatherings hosted by other units of the school. 15
18 Sherrerd Alumni House and Additional Campus Buildings Sherrerd Alumni House is the home of the Alumni and Development Office. One of only three remaining original buildings on the property, the building was completely restored by Hillier Architect Jim Garrison 75 and houses some of the artifacts and archival material from Episcopal s long history. Made possible by one of Episcopal s greatest friends and advocates, Jay Sherrerd 47, it affords alumni a comfortable place to visit when they return to campus. Its first floor contains a library and a conference room. The remainder of the building is dedicated to office space for the Alumni and Development Office. Construction of Lowry House, which will be home to the Head of School and his family and was generously funded by Dick 54 and Carol Lowry, began in April of In addition to living quarters, Lowry House will provide communal space perfectly suited for entertaining alumni, parents, and friends of the school. The Chaplain s house will be proximate to the Lowry House. Both of the residences will enable the Head of School and Chaplain to participate in community life with greater ease. The property s other remaining original buildings are a farmhouse, which dates from 1732, and an associated springhouse. These buildings will be renovated and repurposed. The farmhouse will serve as a residence. 16
19 Turner Upper School The Turner Upper School was designed by RMJM Hillier to encourage collaborative learning and to make use of the most modern teaching technology. The gathering and meeting spaces support community aspects of the Upper School program. State-of-the-art technologies, such as the flat screen plasma televisions in each classroom, campus-wide wireless network, and remote access to a communal video library, are all important educational tools available to students and faculty. The Turner Upper School houses 24 classrooms, four of which contain Harkness tables constructed to facilitate class discussion. The entryway of the building opens into the Coote Honor Hall, an element integral to the building s collaborative design. Here students can gather around the fireplace and enjoy the view of the campus green as they study and socialize. Class lounges and study areas on each of the building s three floors provide additional communal spaces, and department offices provide yet another venue for informal student-faculty collaboration. Parents of three alumni, Bob, a long time trustee, and Carolyn Turner thank the faculty with this magnificent gift to Episcopal. 17
20 Endowment The Ever Episcopal Campaign was established with the dual purpose of providing funding for the construction of Episcopal s new campus in Newtown Square and increasing the school s endowment. Early in the Campaign planning, the school highlighted three goals that endowment growth would address: attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty, ensuring adequate financial aid, and both assessing and enhancing the school s curriculum. A total of $11,959,734 was given or pledged to Episcopal s endowment during the course of the Ever Episcopal Campaign. Twenty-seven new endowed funds were established. These funds include two endowed chairs, four funds supporting faculty, and 21 funds for scholarship and other student support. In addition to the gifts that established new funds within the endowment, more than 200 donors made individual gifts to Episcopal s endowment. Episcopal is extraordinarily grateful to these Campaign donors, all of whom have recognized the need to ensure the continuation of Episcopal s tradition of exellence. Greville Haslam Head of School Chair One significant Campaign effort raised more than $5 million to endow the position of Head of School in honor of Episcopal s 7th Headmaster, Greville Haslam. Haslam was Headmaster from During his tenure the Merion campus was equipped and enlarged, enrollment tripled, extracurricular and athletic programs were enhanced, the curriculum was significantly broadened, and a distinguished faculty was recruited and retained. The fund in Haslam s honor was initiated by Walter Buckley 55, Jay Crawford 57, and Bill Lilley 55 and was supported generously by Jay Sherrerd 47 and many other Episcopal graduates who remember and admire Haslam. The fund will provide for the Head s annual compensation and honors a true Episcopal legend. Endowed Chairs The Greville Haslam Head of School Chair Howard E. Morgan Chair for Creative Writing Faculty Funds Corrigan-Beinkampen Faculty Enrichment Endowment Fund Brian Edward Breskman 06 Memorial Fund for Faculty Support Crawford Hill Fund for Faculty Enrichment Faculty International Study Fund Scholarship Funds The Aldridge Family Scholarship Fund Susan D. and Richard M. Armstrong, Jr. 56 Scholarship Fund Shelly and Larry Brown Student Scholarship Fund Burke Family Scholarship Fund The Class of 1958 Memorial Scholarship Fund The Class of 1973 Scholarship Fund The Crebilly Foundation Scholarship The Michelle Deasey 17 Memorial Scholarship Fund The Hamlin Family Scholarship Fund Gadsden Family Student Opportunities Fund Haas Family Scholarship Fund The Havens Family Endowment Fund The Hoplamazian Fund Jerry and Raye Johnson Student Diversity Fund The Harold and Edith Kohn Scholarship Fund Kurz Scholarship Fund Meyers Family Scholarship Fund The Murdoch Family Scholarship Robinson Family Scholarship Fund The Michael Shouvlin 50 Scholarship Fund The Williams Family Scholarship Fund 18