1 Maskwa Minutes May 12, 2014 Present: John Moore, Mel Simons, Jeff Clark, Dave Waters, Jon Pike, Mary Negulic, Mark Peachey, Anne Webster, Jody Pace, Patti Card, Ian Scott, Angela Jessop, Kate Giles, Dan Dugie Regrets: Stephanie MacFarlane, Joanne Ward-Jerrett, Dan Wincey, Shawna Wilson, Brian Toole, Todd Cranston ITEMS DISCUSSED: 1. Review of previous minutes from April 14, Mel Simons motioned to accept minutes, seconded by Dave Waters. Minutes passed without changes. 2. Executive Reports: a. Treasurer's Report: Jason presented the year-end unaudited financial statements/review engagement of Maskwa financial statements which were circulated with agenda. Financial highlights included: The cash balance in Credit Union was $61,571.00, not including Paypal. Over $20,000 was invested in the new gym in February, 2014 which has been paid for. Other investments included boats. Finance committee has approved new motor boat and paddles. From an accounting perspective, Maskwa is in a good position. Capital Fund has been decreased paying for gym equipment. Goal is to build it up again. Need to invest in boats, both new and maintenance for present boats. Jason discussed each page of financial statements. Several questions arose. Increase in bank charges due to paypal charges. Financial Committee previously reviewed and approved statements. Mark Peachey moved to approve the financial statements, seconded by John Moore. Financial statements approved by Board. Action Plan: Jason to investigate following areas: Where registration website was recorded in registration, decrease in professional fees, and large increase in communications.
2 Maskwa Minutes - May 14, b. Paddling Director's Report: (Page 4) Dan Wincey circulated his report prior to meeting. In his absence, he requested a discussion on the Master's safety boat. Ian explained the Master's Coach this year is unable to work on certain nights of the Master's program. ADCKC has stated insurance does not cover Maskwa if there is no supervision. Kate advised that Mike Jessimen has offered to act as Safety Supervisor during Tuesday and Thursday nights. She suggested Mike be compensated for his time spent as Safety Supervisor, such as discount on registration. Need help for morning practices. Kate stated she has three names for people who have identified they will act as Safety Supervisors and who will take the boat safety course. Action Plan: Kate to contact Dan to ask about details for the safety supervisor and give him the names of the three individuals. Kate to discuss with Dan and Finance Committee about compensation. Also discussed the spring paddling program as only one person from fall paddling program who did not do winter program, registered for spring. Having issues obtaining the names of the people who were in fall paddling alone. Jon has contacted Pam to inquire and she is looking into it. Once list of names is generated an campaign will be launched. 3. Updates from Committees on Frames/Terms of Reference/charter and Meetings: a. Finance: Jason: Finance Committee Charter circulated and approved by Board with changes suggested for typos. Jason to change typos. b. Volunteer and Social: Shawna and Mary: Mary advised they have not yet met as a committee although much work has been done by Shawna and Mary with volunteering and drafting of a calendar. Anticipated meeting by end of month. c. Safety: Mark Peachey: Mark noted committee had not yet met and anticipated report by next BoD meeting. d. Program: Alina: Ian inquired about how the summer program intended to handle the issue of occupying the kids during inclement weather. Discussion about usage of gym for this issue and many concerns about the new equipment were identified by board members. Alina advised the plan was not to use the gym at all for the summer program. Action Plan: Program committee to place this issue on the agenda during next meeting. Alina noted supervision at lunch was proving to be an issue as the Day Camp leader will need to take a lunch break. Ian advised there was funding in the budget for an additional full time person. Discussed suggestions for this issue, including whether could ask parents to help
3 Maskwa Minutes - May 14, out, lifeguards' and coaches' schedules be re-arranged, coach's lunches and lifeguard lunches be staggered, hiring the part time lifeguards to help, could some of the older high performance athletes help, etc. Ian advised he would like to accommodate requirements with the staff we have rather than advertise to parents. Kate Giles offered to assist with lunch hour supervision. Suggested that the children be assigned into groups of per lunch hour monitor, for better supervision and accountability of children. Another model to consider is having monitors assigned to geographical areas around Maskwa. Action Plan: -Alina, Jon and Anne to review schedules for lifeguards and coaches to see if they can supplement for lunch hours. If not, may ask Shawna to ask for volunteers. e. Travel: Todd, Todd was not present but he advised he anticipated committee to meet at end of May. Angela stated she had also done some preliminary investigations into accommodations in Regina and she was to tentatively book 6-7 four bedroom apartments. f. Governance: John McCarthy. No report available. g. Facilities: Jody: No report. Discussed though where the children could store their bags during the summer. Mark Peachey suggested building cubbies. May require 160 cubbies. Action Plan: Jody to investigate options. Other Committees: h. Fundraising: John Moore presented in Stephanie's and Brian's in absentia: John stated Brian had been in contact with Bank of Montreal manager who is interested in donating to Maskwa. They have set up tentative meeting. Action Plan: Jason to contact Brian, John, Mary and Stephanie prior to BMO meeting to provide details where $/donations could be directed. Display Board from Open house was left up for people to view. Board discussed from a fundraising perspective, one of the main areas of need is a truck to pull trailers. Spending a lot of money on transporting vehicles. Action Plan: John to discuss with Stephanie who may have contacts in the auto industry. Fundraising display, corporate packages and power point presentation (attached). i. Communication: Ian - Website updates are being work on continuously. Maskwa Welcome brochure completed and attached for 2014.
4 Maskwa Minutes - May 14, j. Human Resources: Patti advised HR committee is working on HR Policies, contracts and interview sheets. 4. Collection of Criminal Records Applications and Checks: Collected completed criminal records applications from Board Members present. Action Plan: Mark Peachey to contact individuals who have not completed application. 5. Ian announced Dave Waters will be leaving in upcoming week for Worlds in Hungary. Mark de Yonge and Andrew Jessop had left May 11 for the worlds. Board wished them all well. 6. Dates of next meeting June 9, 2014
5 Maskwa Minutes - May 14, PADDLING REPORT MAY 2014 Prog ram s Spring Program Masters Our spring program is now underway, but response has been close to mute. We have had only a single new registrant to the Spring Program. This initiative was to bring the kids from Pam Day's group last fall back into paddling before the summer starts. Still waiting for registrant list from last Fall to reach out directly to those athletes. Masters program for this spring/summer commenced on Monday, May 5th. The program will have 2 coaches - Nathan MacKinnon on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday morning and Mike Jessiman - Tuesday, Thursday evening. In addition, a meeting was held to discuss safety boat use during all practices for liability/safety reasons. Further reinforcement is required, as Masters have been out of the water without a safety boat since the program has started. Boat Repairs Boat repairs have not started because of the cold weather, but we will expect that to change in the coming week or so. Equi pme nt 2014 Purchases
6 Maskwa Minutes - May 14, Equipment Notes Dan Dugie will be inspecting 2 outboards in the crate one is an old Honda and the other is the new one that was damaged last summer. Both are intended to be used this summer. Staff ing Contracts Coaches Contract for Nathan MacKinnon (Masters Coach) has been submitted, signed and returned to Alina. Revised contract draft for Jordan Coyle was recently sent to the Commodore for review. Summer coach contract templates have been generated and approved by HR Cmte and submitted to Jon Pike for use. We currently have majority of our coaches in place for this summer. All senior coaches are in place, but still need a couple more junior coaches of which should be filled soon.